I wanted to give you guys a quick little review on this external hard drive dock that I purchased for myself. I was in desperate need of a way to plug-in hard drives and SSDs without having to hook them up to my computer within the case. I went onto Amazon and found a reasonably priced hard drive dock by a company called Plugable. Just like normal whenever you order from Amazon it was a quick and fast delivery and was very nice when I first took it out of the box.
It is a USB 3.1 generation 2 hard drive dock and I’m not really sure how to gauge it’s performance when it comes to reading and writing cuz I believe that’s mostly based off of the hard drive, so I’m just going to give my thoughts on it based on how I used it. Basically, what I did was I took an old hard drive that I had and wanted to create like a cold storage copy of some data and I simply just plugged it into the dock and it detected it pretty much right away. So far I haven’t had any weird hiccups or issues and I highly recommend the product. It’s really simple all you do is plug in the hard drive into the port and then there you go.
Additional Information From Amazon:
- Take advantage of fast SATA III SSD/HDD drives and USB-C bandwidth for faster backups and data transfers. Includes USB-C and USB-A cables for compatibility with USB 3.1, 3.0, and 2.0 systems. USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 compatibility with latest devices like late 2016 Macbook Pro and 2015 Chromebook Pixel
- Supports all 2.5″ and 3.5″ SATA I, II, and III hard drives, solid state drives, and hybrid drives up to any capacity (8TB+). UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) support for even faster drive data transfer performance
- Dock and included USB Type-C & Type-A cables support USB 3.1 Gen 2 connection to host at up to 10Gbps. Please note: disk throughput is limited to the 6Gbps maximum transfer rate of the SATA III interface. Compatible with 512e and 4K sector Advanced Format drives. Real world performance will vary depending on the disk drive and host system
- USB Type-A cable is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 5Gbps or USB 2.0 480Mbps. Please note that IDE/EIDE/PATA, SCSI, SAS, mSATA, and M.2 drives are not supported. UASP functionality requires UASP capable host controller and operating system. No disk drive is included with purchase
- We love our Plugable products and hope you will too. All of our products are backed with a 1-year limited parts and labor warranty and Seattle-based email support